Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, December 17, 2007

The Giving Tree

This year one of our Advent Jar activities was to donate a gift to the Giving tree. We chose the one at the mall. It was originally only going to be just one present, but when the kids saw how many names there were, we ended up with one for each member of the family. Noah was very concerned about all the other names left behind and felt sad he couldn't help them all. He is sensitive to these things and was pretty upset by all the names on the tree. After careful and LONG deliberation names were chosen and the shopping could begin. Abby in the cart at the store. Abby wanted a small baby. So she got a 3 month old who wanted educational toys. I let her pick and it took forever. I think she tested every toy in the store before she picked hers.

Anna chose a 4 year old little girl who wanted clothes and shoes. Anna spent some of her own Christmas money to buy her some adorable little boots. Noah chose a 5 year old boy who wanted Legos and Spiderman. He, too spent his own money so the little boy could have both items on his tag. It was a proud moment for me to see my kids understand and sacrifice for others. Isaac picked an 8 year old who wanted Pokemon cards. He so enjoyed givimg something he loves to receive.





Every long shopping trip deserves a reward and so we went to Coldstone.




The boys. Nothing like a cheesy posed picture!!!



While at Old Navy, I bought Abby this coat. She didn't have a winter coat yet. She LOVES it and wouldn't take it off. She did her own hair. (See how much I've relaxed?)


We enjoyed it so much we are already planning for next year. We are going get a special jar and save a bit each month. It was fun to see them give so happily and learn to share with those who have less than we do. I won't be doing all the shopping in one day. 5 hours was too long. We were all tired and cranky by the time we got home. I even let Papa Murphy fix dinner for me.



















5 comments:

arah said...

Oh how fun! I love the giving tree. Our ward didn't do one this year, so I did it for my Mom's ward. Have you read "Christmas Jars"? Great book. Your kids would like the story if they like the giving tree.

kim said...

No, where would I find it?

arah said...

any LDS bookstore, I think Walmart might carry it in their LDS section also. I can get you a copy if you want.

Alifinale said...

What a great family activity! How great that the kids wanted to give so much. I think that sounds like a great new tradition.

Sam and Jill Family said...

How neat for you family. Sounds like your kids are really into the true spirit of Christmas. We did the tree of sharing in our ward. The girls enjoyed helping me.