Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cooking Lesson #1

Anyone who knows me, knows I have many quirks in the kitchen. My food has to be color coordinated, it has to be attractive and I never test a new recipe with anyone other than family to name a few. In my attempts to loosen my control and pass some time this summer, the kids are participating in cooking dinners. Each child has an assigned night and gets to help plan the menu. We look at the ads and see what's on sale, listen to our cravings and plan from accordingly. Abby wanted to go first. She picked Hamburger Patties in Gravy. Here she is fixing the corn. Since you can't get the potato pearls in cans anymore, we decided to try the ones from Costco. I'd have to have them side by side to see if I could tell a difference. They are no substitute for the real thing, but I am not ready to have Abby wielding a knife (as she was a very hands on helper!) Here she is stirring the potatoes.


I think this was her favorite and most successful dish. Berry blue Jell-o with pears. She was so proud she stirred it all by herself!


She got to bless the food and have the very first bite. We all had to thank her for her meal. When I hadn't, I got a reminder to:"Say thanks for fixing my dinner, Mom".

Next is Isaac's turn.


9 comments:

Mary Child said...

Okay, Supermom, I am SO IMPRESSED by this I am at a loss for words.

And yes, I am mentally impaired due to a combination of stress and sleep deprivation... Your comment as long as a book. Gotcha.

Another reason it didn't register is that I regularly leave comments that long, and longer, so it didn't strike me as abnormally long.

So, I cannot tell you how impressed I am by your ability to allow small kids into your kitchen. Cooking dinner is so stressful as it is, having a kid in there would just send me over the edge, but I think it's SO IMPORTANT for kids to learn those skills, and spend that time together, and work alongside you....

Okay Kim, you inspired me. I'm really gonna do this. Those are the things kids remember, and it's so important to spend "quality" time!

See, I can write a book too.

(I have a degree in Biology; I promise I'm not stupid, just exhausted)!!!

Mary Child said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

ok first off i love mary's comment...I can hear her saying that and miss her like crazy...

what a great idea...im going to try this after we get home from boise...just with Sky and Ash...Hayden and Xander arnt big enough just yet...

Alifinale said...

How great that your kids are learning to cook so early! Way to go Abby. I wish I learned before I was married because I am way behind. What a great idea and you will have to let us know how Isaac does.

arah said...

great idea. Brinley loves to help all the time, but i think I will actually let her pick out dinner too.
I love seeing what your kids pick. It's pretty healthy. Brinely would probably pick Mac and Cheese.
Karen, i can totally see Mary saying that too. I miss her also.

arah said...

yes, Kim, they do. Wish you were with us. We laughed so hard and had one of those "Girls Night Only" talks in the car on the way back from ice cream...that I believe you started also. Lillie hasn't been for about 6 months because of that adorable baby of hers.

Yumi said...

How great! My girls love to help in the kitchen. We have a big stool that they drag up to me whenever I step into the kitchen. I suppose I should allow them to help more. Mitch is great about letting them pour the ingredients when he bakes cookies (yes, Mitch is the baker in our household).
And, thanks for your encouraging words...I probably have NO idea what I'm in for with 3 girls, right? *sigh*

Stacy Stoddard said...

way to go Abby, your dinner looks so yummy.

lydia moyer said...

i keep meaning to do that with me kids but then they come into the kitchen and i sho them out!