Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Noah's News

Last week Noah had a blood test to see what he is allergic to, in hopes of getting his eczema and asthma under control. The results came in today:
High--Grasses and Mold--(Eugene has some of the highest, if not the highest, in the country for both these)
Moderate and need to be avoided--Wheat and Soy
Mild--Corn

What this means is, Noah will be on 2 allergy medications, a nasal spray and have his inhaler at the ready at all times. He will continue to have to use steroid ointments and AquaPhor twice a day and try to keep all wheat and soy products out of his body. Here's what I have found so far:

Common Names of Wheat and gluten containing products / Always contains it

Gluten /Vital Gluten
Durum wheat
Triticale (wheat and rye blend)
White flour
All-purpose flour
Wholewheat flour
Semolina (refined durum flour)
Couscous (cracked wheat)
Kamut
Spelt
Graham flour
Bulgar (partially cooked and toasted cracked wheat)
Wholemeal flour
Plain and self-raising flour
Barley (extract, flavour, flour, malt)
Farro
Farina
polenta

Common Sources / Foods Containing Wheat

Bread – pitta, Chapatiis and naan bread
Most kinds of rye bread (unless states 100% rye)
BAKED GOODS - Cookies, Pastries, Buns, scones, cakes, muffins
Pizza
Battered or breaded products
Pastas
Baking powder
Packet sauce mixes
Seasonings
Dressings and sauces
Condiments
Vinegar (if derived from wheat grains)
Tinned soups
Most breakfast cereals
Some rye crispbreads
Crumpets, pancakes (buckwheat pancakes unless states 100% buckwheat)
Pies
Sausages
Ice cream
Taramasalata (contains breadcrumbs)
Mustards and mayonnaise (check labels)
Stock cubes
Beer, vodka, gin
Soy sauce
Ready-made foods, sauces
Most muesli’s
Candy

I am going to the bookstore tomorrow to check out cookbooks and get a feel for my options. If anyone has any good recipes, suggestions or info, I would be grateful!!!

4 comments:

Kerri said...

Wow Kim! That is a lot to stay away from! I wish you lots of luck! I think there is a lady in our ward that is allergic to wheat. I will have to talk to her and see if I can get recipes from her. It's good that you like to cook so you can experiment with everything. If anyone can find yummy alternatives it is you!

Melonius said...

This is going to change your life. Wheat is in *everything* {especially food storage!} lol
It sounds like it's not a life-or-death allergy, right? {I don't think you mentioned any epi-pen.}So I guess you've got that.

arah said...

geez. What can the boy eat? just fesh fruit and veggies? I am sure Whole Foods can help you out with what has Soy and Wheat in it.
I grew up with HORRIBLE eczema and it actually got better as I got older. Fish oils are supposed to be good for skin problems like psoriasis and eczema, those come in pill form.
I had to stay away from acidic foods such as tomatoes, orange juice, pineapple etc.
Hope that helps some. good luck on finding recipes. You'll have to let us know how tasty they are.

Yumi said...

Wow, such a long list. My girls have mild eczema (cause I do, apparently) bu it flares up with the weather...I suppose I should find out if foods trigger it as well, but haven't gotten there yet.
Sorry to hear about all the food allergies-I can only imagine how stressful dinnertime will be from now on!