Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Break 2008

Monday March 24: As we were scrambling around trying to get ready, it was suggested that we only go halfway since we had so much to do. If we left at noon, we could be in LeGrande by 6 and even if we left at 3 we would be there by 9. I am sure it will come to no surprise, that after helping the house recover from the Easter festivities and packing we were pulling out of the driveway at 6. We had hours and hours of this. Not sure if this was coming or going. Does it really matter???

We have several of Abby like this.

We pulled into LeGrande at around midnight and it wasn't too difficult to settle down and get to sleep. It is very exciting to sleep in a hotel, you know.
Tuesday March 25th:
We got up and ate breakfast. I am seriously considering investing in some cereal and juice dispensers. Apparently it tastes better if it comes that way. It was the best breakfast ever!
We were on the road just after 9:30--be very impressed. We pulled into Pocatello just after 4 and the kids were very happy to see their grandparents. We had a nice relaxing evening of dinner and conversation. Since we had last been there, Joan had converted Russ to the late side and he stayed with us into the night.
Wednesday March 26th:
We had a quiet day (if that is even a possibility with 4 children) at Grandma and Grandpa's. The kids made cookies with Joan. In fact this ended up being lunch. You gotta love vacation diets!






That night Kevin and I went on a date while the kids stayed with Grandma and Grandpa. It was our first in almost 2 years. It was fun.
Thursday March 27th:
We were heading to Utah so we had to pack everything up again. We also went and visited Kevin's cousin Earl on our way out. I forgot to take pictures--I am so sad. They just welcomed their 5th on March 13th, so I got to hold a brand new baby for a bit while we chatted and the kids played. Our kids adore Earl and his family. It is always a highlight of the trip to see them.
We headed to Robert and Kerri's around 7 and stopped for a yucky dinner in Brigham City at the Sonic. Everything I ordered, they were out of: ice cream, chili, chicken tenders, tater tots, corn dogs. It took forever and was cold. We won't be going back.


Friday March 28th:
We got up and got ready to go to the sealing. We dropped the kids off at Uncle Neal's (they were lucky and got to spend some alone time with their Aunt Regina and her kids) and tried to find the directions to the temple according to Mapquest. Even though we got turned around, we managed to be the first ones from our side of the family to be there--very noteworthy for us!!! The sealing was wonderful and that little Bo looked like a perfect little angel and was so good.
After the sealing Neal and Stacy had a luncheon. Bo was so well behaved, he got passed around and no nap, but was still a happy sweet boy. Here are some random pictures from the luncheon.
Bo with Uncle Mike (Kevin's sister Shelley''s husband)



Me with baby Aubrey. Such a tiny sweet little thing.






Isaac and Aubrey









Anna with Aubrey






Outside the temple. The men of the family with Bo and Stacy--where's Grandpa?





Bo with Grandma and Grandpa




Sometimes you just need a little of space. Unfortunately, with my kids that's rare!










Abby outside playing with Shelby.




Everyone gathered at Robert and Kerri's that night. Kylie had some drama with her first loose tooth. After many attempts, lots of freaking out....the tooth was still there when we left for home yesterday. I do have to say that in Kylie's defense, her daddy needs to hone his tooth pulling skills.







Mark and Regina's Ella and Blythe with Aubrey. So cute!!!




After the luncheon Kevin and I took the kids to Cabella's. We explored and had fun seeing all the animals.



We did have a meltdown--Isaac was so disappointed that 1. the animals weren't real and 2. he couldn't eat there. It was a proud moment.






Kevin enjoyed himself too.



After that we met Rachel (Goodwin)Williams for dinner. This is Kevin and Lucy. She is sooo cute.





It was a lot of fun to see Rachel and catch up on life. It had been too many years since I have seen her and although I get updates from her mom via my mom it was nice to see her face for reals.

Rachel and I go way back. It makes me feel so old when I say this, but I babysat for her parents for years growing up. I started at 11 (what were they thinking????) and Rachel was 5, her sister Julie was 3, Jonathan was brand new and David was a few years younger than me.



If I were better at this I would have edited out the reserved parking sign.



The kids adored Lucy and played ring-around-the-rosy with her as we said our goodbyes.


Lucy is such a doll and so well behaved. She didn't complain once and it was a long dinner.
That night we visited with a fe of the brothers and their wives and then stayed up until almost 3:30 talking to Robert and Kerri. It was fun. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. I am pretty sure it has been almost 2 years.
Saturday March 29th:
Because of the lateness of our getting to bed and the fact it didn't look as though Robert and Kerri's family was going to be able to join us, we chose to stay home so the kids could play and we could spend more time with them. Kevin and Robert took the kids geocaching for a bit and then it was time to get ready for Paul and Misti's dinner. Because I spaced and didn't take pictures, you will have to imagine the events of this day.
Sunday March 30th:
A day both highly anticipated and dreaded. We woke up to snow. I hate snow. We were going to Aubrey's blessing first. We had directions, but I hadn't thought to read them before everyone left us. They started from a road I wasn't sure how to get to. So after a long detour through BYU, we got to the building and I dropped Kevin at the door and told him to run in. The kids and I quickly followed, but missed the blessing. I was disappointed. As nice as the testimonies were, I did not drive 14 hours to listen to those.
Right after that ward was over--time to scoot to Neal and Stacy's building for Bo's blessing. We sat in the back as to not disturb anyone as we did the bless and ditch. We had 14 hours on the road ahead of us.


A random picture between Paul and Misti's building and Neal and Stacy's


We made good time and since it was vacation, took the kids to Chuck-a-Rama. It was in memory of Kevin's childhood when his grandparent's took them sometimes. In my head right after Chuck-a Rama, I think of Barf-a-Rama from Stand by Me. So I always laugh at the name.
As buffets go (and we know--the kids LOVE them), this wasn't so bad. They had 10 million drink options and a nice salad bar. Abby and I ate turkey, which was actually really good. I just think the name is so funny!!!




That added some time to our drive home and when we hit the Blue Mountains and were greeted with heavy snow and ice, it was such a treat. It took us about an hour to get through. I was very grateful for the mile markers since they were my visual to staying on the road. We rolled into the driveway about 3:15. I could have cried I was so glad to see home.
It was good times had by all. We were very grateful to have been able to make the trip and see the new babies in the family. The next time we see them, they will undoubtably be no longer babies and walking. We have to watch them grow up through pictures, so to be able to participate in something for real was nice for a change.
Now it's off to unpack, clean out the car, get real food in the house and get ready for school. tomorrow






















4 comments:

Alifinale said...

Whoa...I am exhausted for you. That is quite the trip. Fun to see family and new babies. Glad you made it home safe and that you and Kevin got to go on a date.

Yumi said...

Wow! What a trip! Glad to see you guys had fun and made it back safely. So many family to visit with! I would have asked you to say HI to Neal and Paul, but I doubt they'd remember me, although I'm sure they remember Atau. Sorry you didn't get to meet up with Airi guys...I hear they're all sick and I have to pick them up from the airport at Midnight tonight...I feel for her and her long flight home with 4 sick kids.
Anyhoo-glad you had fun!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Thanks again for making some time for us. It was so fun to meet your kids and catch up! Sorry to hear you missed Aubrey's blessing. And sorry that you had to eat at Barf-O-Rama, instead of at Neal's. Bracan and I had a good time visiting with all your family there after Bo's blessing. Glad we could crash your family gathering!

Cindy said...

Looks like your spring break was filling with family, fun, and food. The 3 F's is what vacation is all about. Chuck-arama is the best. My grandma use to take us when we went to visit when we were little. The memories!!! Well, I hope you can recover from vacation and get back to normal life. You are looking good. It's nice to see pictures of you.