Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day Deliveries

As many have commented, the celebration of May Day is close becoming extinct. I looked up the meaning on Wikepedia so you all can know one of the meanings of May Day. hope you all had a great day!! We sure did.

The day was a traditional summer holiday in many pre-Christian European pagan cultures. While February 1 was the first day of Spring, May 1 was the first day of summer; hence, the summer solstice on June 25 (now June 21) was Midsummer. In the Roman Catholic tradition, May is observed as Mary's month, and in these circles May Day is usually a celebration of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In this connection, in works of art, school skits, and so forth, Mary's head will often be adorned with flowers. Fading in popularity since the late 20th century is the giving of "May baskets," small baskets of sweets and/or flowers, usually left anonymously on neighbors' doorsteps. Here's a couple of shots of our May Day cones. Unfortunately many of the doorknobs did not allow them to be hung. But the kids were pleased with them anyway.

Anna holding up a bunch before soccer practice. I told her she would rather have them taken before she was all sweaty.

Noah is consistent in who he chooses. He has never picked a different family. I'm just glad I really like the family he chooses.


Abby picked my friend Lark. She adores her. We got lucky and they weren't home, so she was able to successfully ding-dong ditch them.





Isaac picked Baby Ellie. She and her parents came for Easter. I'm not 100% sure we didn't get caught there.




The last one the kids walked down to our friends that they love. They have a son that is Abby's age and she wants to marry him. I had to tell her to stop kissing the poor boy.










12 comments:

jenn w said...

I never knew that about May 1 either. I think its great that you get your kids excited about it, and the cones are really cute. Good job! Thanks for the wiki info.

arah said...

I love that! I want to be your neighbor.
You brought back a memory of when I was in elemetary and we were having a May Day celebration outside.We were making a May pole. It started to hail and they had used crate paper as sashes on the girls. As soon as they got wet, the paper bled all over everyones dresses. Ruining all of them. nice huh? Happy memories...i probably wouldn't have remembered that otherwise.

Mary Child said...

Wow, that is such a great tradition! It's so cool, I want to start doing that with my kids. I guess I only have 364 days to wait!!!

So, Kim, how much did you spend on those flowers? They are BEAUTIFUL! I can't think of a nicer thing than to open my door and see a spring bouquet in a decorated cone... Why oh why has this tradition gone by the wayside? Way to celebrate May Day!

I still cannot get over how much Anna looks like you. She may have Kevin's coloring, but her features are ALL YOU!

Cute family Kim!

kim said...

Mary--the flowers were only about $20. We picked out 2 big bunches and a 10 stem bouquet of daisies from Trader Joes and then split them into 6 cones. If I had tons of money, I would have flowers delivered to all my friends and family that live far away. How fun would that be??? But like I said I would have to have lots and lots of money!!!

Alifinale said...

I love the beautiful flowers and the cones are so cute. Way to keep tradition alive and how fun for your kids.

Yumi said...

Wow! I never knew that about May Day...here in Hawaii, they call it "Lei Day" and everyone gives/wears lei. They had a huge lei that supposedly made the Guiness Book of World Records for the longest lei in the world...
It's a nice tradition, that I should really pick up and do for family and friends next year! Thanks for the history~

Stacy Stoddard said...

the flowers are beautiful and how fun to teach your kids about May Day. I remember delivering May day flowers for Young women, so fun.

Yumi said...

Hi Kim!

I just wanted to drop you a note saying that we finally convinced Airi to enter the blogging world! Yea. We'll just have to see how well she can keep up since she's the busiest person I know!
Her link is on my blog, but it's at:
http://kuriharaohana.blogspot.com/

Airi said...

Hey Kim! Yes, I finally started a blog...not yet comfortable,but I'll get there soon. I probably won't beable to post too often but I'll see how things go. Hope all is well with you.
Love,
airi

Cindy said...

I love May Day as well. We use to door bell ditch flowers when I was a kid as well, but in all honesty I haven't done it once since I have become a mother. Next year I'm getting my girls out there. They would love to give flowers to people and surprise them. You are such a fun mom.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

What a great tradition with your kids. I might just have to steal that one! Funny, but I remember making cones like that and filling them with paper flowers to give to my mom on mother's day. Glad to know the cone thing hasn't died.

Lonnie said...

What a beautiful tradition - and one I had forgotten about since I was a kid. I remember sitting in the backyard with my little sis making paper baskets and picking wild flowers to deliver to our neighbors. I LOVE that you're doing this with your kids - the cones are DARLING and the flowers so bright and beautiful. I'll have to be sure to remember May Day next year! Love you Kim - you're a bright spot my dear! Love, Lon