Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, April 28, 2008

Relief Society

I do not wait for moods. You accomplish nothing if you do that. Your mind must know it has got to get down to work. Pearl S. Buck


I had to teach Relief Society for the very first time in my life yesterday. There were 3 conference talks to work with and the one that stuck with me throughout the month was about procrastination. Procrastination is such a big issue in our family--one of us is list oriented, one of us isn't. There wasn't really a whole lot new to the subject--we all know what it is. We all do it and we all have a story or two we could share. But as I was preparing, something really stood out in my mind.

It is something Elder Hallstrom said. "However, for many "someday" never comes, and even for others who eventually do make a change, there is an irretrievable loss of progress and surely regression."

I had never thought of it that way before. I have a friend who just lost her dad and it reminds me a lot of when I lost mine. The big difference is, my friend has never been to the temple and was beginning to prepare to go so she could go through with her dad. He passed away a couple of months ago and she never had the chance. She had been waiting to be able to go through with her husband. Now she will never have the opportunity. When I read irretrievable loss, I couldn't help but think of her.

I think I am grateful for being able to prepare the lesson--the giving of it is another story. As always, I learned more than I could possibly have shared.

Here's to hoping we all can reach down and find some motivation within ourselves and make our lives as happy as I know you deserve them to be!!!

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer

9 comments:

arah said...

hey, who's birthday?

kim said...

Who's birthday??? You lost me.

Ally said...

I find that I always get more out of the lesson, than those that the lesson is intended for also. How was your panic level? Were you nervous?

Mary Child said...

Wow, good stuff to ponder...

I agree that you always get more from a lesson when you prepare it. That's why they haven't kicked me out of my calling yet- 'cause I need to hear it the most!

I don't consider myself a procrastinator, but in some ways, we all are, and now that I think about it, there ARE some things I need to get moving on!

Great quotes by the way. I love your blog Kim! I never know what I'm gonna get- you have great range!

Alifinale said...

I struggle with procrastinating so it is always good to have a little push to remember the things that are important and not to put things off. Thanks!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

I always find that whatever I'm procrastinating really isn't that bad once I start doing it. Thanks for the reminder to cease the day!

Teaching is a great calling. Bracan and I team teach gospel doctrine right now. It's a great calling, but I do end always shedding a tear when I testify. I can blame it on prego hormones, but it really wouldn't change even if I wasn't prego.

Liz said...

i have something to say but, i think i'll wait till later.

Yumi said...

Procrastination is one of those things that will probably continue to haunt me for the rest of my life...I think I'm genetically predispositioned to be a procrastinator. Is that possible? However, I must say that since I got married and had kids, I've surprisingly gotten better! My husband is not one for procrastinating (for the most part) and I must say I'm pretty lucky in that dept. But, it's true and I remember that talk by Elder Hallstrom and recall feeling the same way--we really DO need to make the most of our time because you really never know what the future holds, and how terrible to have a feeling of regret like your friend!
Thanks for the reminder~I feel uplifted and encouraged today! :)

Anonymous said...

In case you are experiencing difficulity with adult pimples, consider laundering your cushion circumstances and bath towels more often. Most cosmetic dermatologists suggest switching your pillowcase one or two times weekly and ultizing a clean soft towel every single day. Simply because germs and dead skin cells can quickly collect at first glance of such fabric, which may then block pores and cause acne breakouts. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Ca45yhhe[/url]