Life is Good--Tales of my Life

Life is Good--Tales of my Life
In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Bosses in my Life

I have had some serious health issues the past few years and as little as a year ago I was on at least 7 different prescriptions. A couple for depression, migraine, thyroid just to name a few. At one point I had a drug reaction called seratonin syndrome. Yikes. So with the best cheerleader in my life, a girl could have, I made the decision to be in control of my life, rather than live on medication. I made the decision to get my body moving. I did the couch to 5K. I hated every minute of it and my legs hurt. I thought there had to be a better way. So, I dusted off and replaced the battery on my heart rate monitor my sister gave me a couple years ago. To my shock and relief, after running for 30 minutes, I discovered I was working too hard. Now I walk instead of run, in my target heart rate zone, longer. I still hate it, but I feel better.


Polar F4 Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Black Amber)

The next boss I have is the scale. I HATE the scale. I only get on it once a week. Otherwise I get discouraged and grumpy. But the last couple weeks, the scale has been nice and said what I wanted it too. I am going for slow but steady weight loss. I would love to not have this beast as a boss in my life, but I need to.

Health o meter Black Digital Lithium Scale
The other boss I have in my life is my food journal. I am writing down everything I eat and trying to keep between a certain amount of calories. I have to plan every meal and snack for a few days in advance, planning in treats as well. I also include date night and just try to make healthier choices when out--like only eating half or picking grilled instead of deep fried. I am keeping an eye on my fiber (having had issues for a couple of years, that one is a biggie for me. I never want to drink magnesium citrate again!). As well as cutting out processed foods and breads. The biggest is cutting my ice cream intake as well as the beloved Diet Coke. I have found, that I am not starving and somedays have to make sure I eat in order to get enough calories in a day.

Foray Italian Leather Journal 5 x


I have been exercising since the beginning of August. Watching what I eat for a few weeks. I am no longer on meds for depression or migraines. And have eliminated all but my thyroid medication. I take iron for anemia, and a few other vitamins for good health, but I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I was just 6 months ago. I will admit, this isn't my idea of fun. But I am dedicated to sticking to it. And now by posting this out in the open for all you to read I have accountability. Anyone who wants to join me, I would love it!

1 comments:

MyLife MyTrip said...

Hello there,

I come across your blog through online and like this nice post and I like that you are writing down everything you eat and trying to keep between a certain amount of calories.

Yes, we need to focus more on healthier food we eat in our daily life. For me, I try to eat more fruits and vegetable now.